Physical therapy simply refers to the use of mechanical force, movement, manual therapy, exercise to make the body mobile once again. The main idea behind physical therapy is that it was designed to help those suffering from certain injuries that have made it difficult or impossible for them to walk or carry out certain tasks by themselves. To help those suffering from these injuries, these physical therapists would have to go through the medical history of the individual in question. After going through their history, they would have to examine the present condition, then create a plan that would help them get back on their feet.
Often times, physical therapists would have to prescribe medications as well as offer the needed assistance with tons of exercise programs, mechanical devices, manual therapy, and other necessary tools. These therapists tend to work hand in hand with occupational therapists as they all seek to improve the general health condition of individuals. One of the amazing functions of these physical therapists is that they offer advice and tips that would help you stay safe after recovering from an injury.
What You Should Expect When You Visit A Physical Therapist
It is important that you remember that these therapists have been well trained and are capable of handling all physical disorders or injuries. When you visit a physical therapist, you should expect these;
- Proper examination; as mentioned earlier, these physical therapists would have to go through your medical record to get an idea of what you are allergic to or not. After going through your record, the next thing to do would be to carefully examine you. They make use of certain tools and X-ray happens to be one of them. After carefully examining your present physical condition, they would have to create a program or plan that you would have to follow. Depending on the nature or seriousness of your injury or disorder, this program could be a weekly or monthly plan.
- Educating; aside from the fact that these physical therapists offer you a program that would help you recover, they also educate you on how best to stay safe. Depending on your work and living environment, these therapists would offer you tested-and-proven safety measures that you have to take to heart. This is to ensure that you do not incur another injury.
- When you visit a physical therapist, you get to receive a clinical diagnosis as well as a short-term and long-term plan that would help you achieve your set goal.
Various Types Of Physical Therapy You Can Choose From
Depending on your health and physical condition, these are the types of physical therapy you can choose from;
- Geriatric physical therapy; this type of physical therapy has been developed to help aging ones suffering several conditions that limit their mobility. Some of these conditions include; Alzheimer’s disease, arthritis, osteoporosis, balance disorder, hip replacement etc. The main aim of this type of physical therapy is to reduce pain, restore mobility as well as increase the overall fitness level of these elderly ones.
- Orthopedic therapy; this type of physical therapy focuses primarily on musculoskeletal injuries that have to do with ligaments, bone, tendons, fascias, and muscle. It is capable of helping those with these medical conditions; sprains, fractures, bursitis, tendonitis etc. To enable them to recover, this physical therapy makes use of these techniques; manual therapy, mobility training, and strength training.
- Neurological therapy; this physical therapy type focuses primarily on those with neurological conditions like stroke, Parkinson’s disease, cerebral palsy etc. The treatment those diagnosed with these health conditions would be given will help to increase the responsiveness of their limbs.